Born at Mintaro in 1884, John Andrew Tennant Mortlock was keenly interested in pastoral and intellectual pursuits. He succeeded to the estate of his father, William Tennant Mortlock, in 1915 and became the owner of several properties including Yalluna Station (Tumby Bay), which he sold to the SA Government in 1947 for soldier settlement.
In 1936, John Mortlock and his mother gave £25,000 to the Waite Institute to establish the Ranson Mortlock Laboratory for the investigation of soil erosion and similar problems, and in 1937, he established tan experimental station at Yudnapinna to conduct research to assist the pastoral industry.
On 15th March, 1950, John Mortlock died, leaving bequests to carry out the work at the Waite Institute and for medical research at the University of Adelaide. In addition, he bequeathed the sum of £10,000 to establish the Mortlock Agricultural Scholarships at Urrbrae Agricultural High School.
Today, the scholarship is worth over £55,000 pa and is distributed at both school and graduate levels.
To download a copy of the Mortlock Tertiary Scholarship Nomination Form, please click the following link: Tertiary Scholarship Application Form (PDF 84Kb)